The creamy and delicious Philadelphia cheese has been a pantry staple in homes across the world for over 145 years. Originally created by dairy farmer William Lawrence in 1872, this cheese has won over the hearts of cheese lovers around the globe. With its smooth texture and tangy flavor, it is no wonder that Philadelphia cheese has become a go-to ingredient for many recipes. And its popularity is not limited to just America – it has also made its way to India and has become a favorite among Indian households.
In this ultimate buying guide, we will explore the top 10 Philadelphia cheese products available in India. From understanding the types of Philadelphia cheese to discovering mouthwatering recipes and pairing suggestions, this article is your one-stop destination for all things Philadelphia cheese in India.
Brief History of Philadelphia Cheese
Philadelphia cheese, also known as cream cheese, was first invented by dairy farmer William Lawrence in Chester, New York back in 1872. He was experimenting with different cheese-making methods and accidentally stumbled upon a delicious, soft, and spreadable cheese that became a hit with his customers. It was originally called “Neufchatel Cheese”, named after the town in France where it was believed to have originated.
In 1880, James L. Kraft, the founder of Kraft Foods, began mass-producing Philadelphia cream cheese and acquired the trademark for the name “Philadelphia” in 1883. The cheese gained popularity in America and by the 1920s, it had spread to other countries including Canada, Mexico, and India.
Explaining the Popularity of Philadelphia Cheese in India
India has always been a cheese-loving nation, with a wide variety of cheese available in the market. However, the introduction of Philadelphia cheese took the country by storm. Its creamy texture and mild flavor has made it a household name in India. It is also a popular choice for those who are not fond of strong-flavored cheeses like blue cheese or feta.
Additionally, Philadelphia cheese is versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes, both sweet and savory. From sandwiches to desserts, the options are endless. Its widespread availability in supermarkets and easy to use packaging has also contributed to its popularity in India.
Understanding the Different Types of Philadelphia Cheese
Philadelphia cheese is available in a few different varieties in India, each with its own distinct flavor and texture. Let’s take a closer look at the types of Philadelphia cheese that you can find in Indian stores.
Flavors and Textures
– Original Cream Cheese: This is the classic flavor, with a smooth and creamy texture. It is perfect for spreading on toast or bagels, and also great for using in desserts.
– Reduced Fat Cream Cheese: As the name suggests, this variety has a lower fat content and is a healthier option for those watching their calorie intake.
– Garlic and Herbs Cream Cheese: The addition of garlic and herbs adds a flavorful twist to the classic cream cheese. It is great for adding to dips or using as a spread on crackers.
– Five Peppercorn Cream Cheese: This variety has a spicy kick, making it an excellent addition to any savory dish. It is also delicious when added to pasta sauces or used as a dip for chips.
Packaging Options and Sizes
Philadelphia cheese is available in various packaging options, making it convenient for consumers to choose according to their needs.
– Blocks: The original and flavored cream cheese varieties are available in blocks, which are perfect for slicing and using in different recipes.
– Tubs: Most Philadelphia cheese flavors come in tubs, which are great for storing in the refrigerator and using as a spread or dip.
– Mini Tubs: For those looking for a single-serve option, mini tubs of Philadelphia cheese are available, making it a convenient snack or on-the-go option.
– Squeeze Bottles: The cream cheese spreads are available in squeeze bottles, making it easy to dispense and use as a topping or dip.
Best Ways to Enjoy Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Now that we have a better understanding of the different types of Philadelphia cheese available in India, let’s explore some of the best ways to enjoy this delicious cheese.
Delicious Recipes Using Philadelphia Cream Cheese as a Key Ingredient
– Creamy Chicken Pasta: Simply mix some cooked pasta, chicken, and Philadelphia cream cheese together, and you have a delicious and easy dinner option.
– Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken: Combine Philadelphia cream cheese, chopped spinach, and feta cheese, stuff it in chicken breast and bake for a flavorful and filling meal.
– Berry Cheesecake: A classic dessert made with Philadelphia cream cheese, graham cracker crust, and a berry topping.
Tips and Tricks for Incorporating Cream Cheese into Your Meals
– Mix a spoonful of Philadelphia cream cheese into your scrambled eggs for a creamy and delicious breakfast.
– Create a flavorful cream cheese spread for sandwiches by adding some herbs or spices to it.
– Add Philadelphia cream cheese to soups or stews as a thickening agent for a creamy and rich texture.
Exploring Philadelphia Cheese Spreads and Dips
Philadelphia cheese spreads and dips are perfect for snacking, appetizers, or adding to your meals for an extra punch of flavor. Let’s take a look at some of the popular flavors and pairing suggestions for these tasty spreads.
Range of Flavors and Options Available
– Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread: This tangy and flavorful spread is perfect for dipping crackers, vegetables, or for using in sandwiches.
– Jalapeno and Lime Cheese Spread: A spicy and tangy combination that is perfect for nachos or adding to your favorite Mexican dishes.
– Caramelized Onion and Chive Cheese Spread: A sweet and savory spread that pairs well with crackers or used as a topping for baked potatoes.
Pairing Suggestions and Serving Ideas
– Crackers and Cheese: The classic combination of crackers and cheese is perfect for Philadelphia cheese spreads. Try different varieties of crackers to find your favorite pairing.
– Vegetable Platter: Carrots, celery, and bell peppers make great dipping options for the creamy Philadelphia cheese spreads.
– Party Appetizers: Use Philadelphia cheese spreads to create easy and delicious appetizers like pinwheels or stuffed mini phyllo cups.
Philadelphia Cheese in Desserts: Must-Try Recipes
Philadelphia cream cheese can also satisfy your sweet tooth. It is a versatile ingredient that can be used to make a variety of desserts. Here are some must-try recipes using Philadelphia cream cheese.
– Red Velvet Cupcakes: The classic red velvet cupcake gets a tangy twist with the addition of Philadelphia cream cheese in the frosting.
– No-Bake Cheesecake: A simple and delicious dessert that does not require any baking. Crushed graham crackers, cream cheese, and your favorite toppings are all you need to make this decadent treat.
– Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip: A sweet and creamy dip made with cream cheese, chocolate chips, and other simple ingredients.
Philadelphia Cheese for Snacking: Quick and Easy Ideas
Philadelphia cheese can also be used to make quick and easy snacks for those busy days. Here are a few ideas to incorporate Philadelphia cheese into your snacking routine.
Suggestions for Incorporating Philadelphia Cheese into Simple Snacks
– Cucumber and Cream Cheese Sandwich: A refreshing and light snack made with cucumbers, cream cheese, and your choice of bread.
– Toasted Bagel with Cream Cheese: A classic breakfast or snack option that is both filling and delicious.
– Grilled Cheese with a Twist: Add a layer of Philadelphia cheese to your grilled cheese sandwich for an extra creamy and flavorful twist.
On-the-Go Snacking Options Using Philadelphia Cheese Products
– Mini Tacos: Fill mini taco shells with cream cheese, shredded chicken, and other toppings for a quick and easy snack.
– Veggie Roll-Ups: Spread Philadelphia cream cheese on tortillas and roll them up with your favorite vegetables for a nutritious and filling snack.
– Bagel Bites: Cut mini bagels in half, spread some Philadelphia cream cheese on top, add your favorite toppings, and bake for a tasty snack.
Philadelphia Cheese for Health-Conscious Individuals
For those conscious about their health and nutrition, Philadelphia cheese also offers healthier alternatives and low-fat options.
Highlighting the Nutritional Benefits of Philadelphia Cheese
Philadelphia cream cheese contains a good amount of calcium, which is essential for strong and healthy bones. It also provides a decent amount of protein per serving, making it a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Additionally, the reduced-fat varieties are a healthier alternative for those looking to cut down on their fat intake.
Healthier Alternatives and Low-Fat Options Available
– Reduced Fat Cream Cheese: As mentioned earlier, this variety has a lower fat content than the original cream cheese, making it a smarter choice for those watching their calories.
– Low-Fat Whipped Cream Cheese: The whipped version of Philadelphia cream cheese is lighter in texture and has a lower fat content.
– Neufchatel Cheese: This is a lower-fat option compared to traditional cream cheese but still has the same tangy flavor.
Philly Cheesesteak: Recreating the Iconic Sandwich with Philadelphia Cheese
The Philly cheesesteak sandwich is a classic American dish originating from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And as the name suggests, Philadelphia cream cheese is a key ingredient in this iconic sandwich. Here’s how you can create an authentic Philly cheesesteak at home.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making an Authentic Philly Cheesesteak at Home
– 4 small hoagie rolls
– 1 pound of thinly sliced ribeye steak
– 1 onion, thinly sliced
– 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
– 8 tablespoons of Philadelphia cream cheese
– 8 slices of Provolone cheese
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sliced steak. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until browned.
2. Add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread 2 tablespoons of Philadelphia cream cheese on one side of each hoagie roll and 2 slices of Provolone cheese on the other side.
5. Pile the steak, onions, and peppers onto the rolls and top with the Provolone side of the roll.
6. In a separate pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.
7. Add the sandwiches and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
8. Serve hot and enjoy your authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwich.
The Importance of Using Philadelphia Cheese for an Authentic Flavor
Using Philadelphia cream cheese not only adds to the creamy texture of the sandwich but also elevates the flavor. The tangy and rich taste of the cream cheese is an essential component of a true Philly cheesesteak.
Philadelphia Cheese and Wine Pairing Guide
Cheese and wine are a match made in heaven, and pairing the right wine with your Philadelphia cheese can take your tasting experience to a whole new level. Here are some suggestions for the perfect wine and Philadelphia cheese combinations.
Exploring the Perfect Wine and Philadelphia Cheese Combinations
– Original Cream Cheese: Pair this with a smooth and buttery Chardonnay or a fruity Sauvignon Blanc.
– Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread: A crisp and acidic Pinot Grigio or a light-bodied Merlot complements the creamy and tangy spread.
– Five Peppercorn Cream Cheese: The spiciness in this cheese pairs well with a bold and fruity Zinfandel or an earthy Syrah.
Tips on Creating a Cheese and Wine Tasting Experience at Home
– Choose a variety of cheese and wines: Pick a variety of cheeses with different textures and flavors, and make sure to have a mix of reds and whites to pair with them.
– Experiment with pairings: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different wines and cheeses to find your perfect pairing.
– Keep it simple: Display the cheese and wine in an organized and aesthetically pleasing way. This will make the tasting experience more enjoyable.
Frequently Asked Questions about Philadelphia Cheese Products in India
Addressing Common Queries, Such as Storage, Shelf Life, and Availability
How should Philadelphia cheese products be stored?
Philadelphia cheese should be kept in the refrigerator, with the temperature at or below 40°F. Once opened, it should be consumed within 10 days.
What is the shelf life of Philadelphia cheese products?
The shelf life of unopened Philadelphia cheese products is approximately 2-3 weeks if stored properly in the refrigerator.
Are all Philadelphia cheese products available in India?
Not all Philadelphia cheese varieties may be available in India. However, most popular flavors and types can be found in supermarkets across the country.
Can Philadelphia cheese products be used in baking?
Yes, Philadelphia cream cheese is a favorite ingredient in many dessert recipes, especially for cheesecakes and frostings.
Is Philadelphia cheese suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, Philadelphia cheese is made from pasteurized milk and is free of animal rennet, making it a suitable choice for vegetarians.
Providing Additional Tips and Suggestions for Enjoying Philadelphia Cheese
– Get creative with recipes: Don’t limit yourself to just using Philadelphia cream cheese for cheesecakes and dips. Experiment with different dishes and cuisines to discover unique and delicious recipes.
– Use it as a substitute: Philadelphia cream cheese is a great substitute for other dairy products, such as sour cream or mayonnaise, in recipes.
– Try different topping and mix-ins: Add your own twist to flavored Philadelphia cream cheese by mixing in your favorite herbs or spices. You can also experiment with toppings, such as fresh fruit, nuts, or honey for a sweet and savory combination.
Philadelphia cheese products have gained immense popularity in India, and for a good reason. With its creamy texture, tangy flavor, and versatility, it has become a staple in many Indian households. From traditional spreads and dips to sweet treats and quick snacks, there are endless ways to enjoy Philadelphia cheese. So, whether you are a cheese lover or a first-timer, try out these top 10 Philadelphia cheese products and discover why it has won over hearts around the world.